This easy Bistro 16 pumpkin soup has all the right winter vibes. It is ridiculously easy and is gloriously thick and creamy. You can serve it with a side of crusty cheese bread that is dipped into the soup again and again.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 kg peeled pumpkin, diced (oven-roasted for richer flavour)
- 1 large potato, peeled, diced
- 1L chicken style liquid stock or vegetable liquid stock for Vegetarians
- 1/2 cup (125ml) thin cream
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over low heat, add onion and leek and cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened but not coloured.
- Add garlic and spices and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add pumpkin, potato and stock and bring to the boil.
- Turn heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, then blend in batches.
- Return soup to the pan, stir through cream and reheat gently. Season and add a little more nutmeg if desired